What is PHP?
- PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
- PHP is a widely-used, open source scripting language
- PHP scripts are executed on the server
- PHP is free to download and use
What Can PHP Do?
- PHP can generate dynamic page content
- PHP can create, open, read, write, and close files on the server
- PHP can collect form data
- PHP can send and receive cookies
- PHP can add, delete, modify data in your database
- PHP can restrict users to access some pages on your website
- PHP can encrypt data
With PHP you are not limited to output HTML. You can output images, PDF files, and even Flash movies. You can also output any text, such as XHTML and XML.
- PHP runs on different platforms (Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, etc.)
- PHP is compatible with almost all servers used today (Apache, IIS, etc.)
- PHP has support for a wide range of databases
- PHP is free. Download it from the official PHP resource: www.php.net
- PHP is easy to learn and runs efficiently on the server side